35 YEARS LATER
Next month Care Team, it’s management and shareholders will be celebrating our 35th Anniversary. Few companies make it past their fifth anniversary, but Care Team is the oldest Licensed home healthcare agency in Hillsborough County without a change in ownership. There are approximately 150 licensed agencies in the County.
Statistically, and according to the studies by the Federal Small Business Administration:
- 22% of small businesses fail in their first year.
- 50% fail in the first 5 years.
- 65% by their 10th anniversary.
- And only 25% make it past their 15th anniversary.
Back in the summer of 1988, the Prime Interest Rate was 8.25% and a 30-year residential mortgage was 10.34%. Today we complain about a National average rate of 7.0%.
Other 1988 living standards and lifestyle topics included:
- Top New Released Movies were Rain Man, Die Hard, A Fish Named Wonda, Twins, Coming to America and Beetlejuice.
- Gold was $437 per once and Silver was $6.70.
- Gas was $0.91 per gallon.
- A postage stamp was $0.24.
- A Dozen eggs were $0.65.
- A Domino’s Pizza was $4.99.
- And McDonalds hamburger was $0.49, and the Quarter Pounder was $0.88
- The Space Shuttle Program returned to flying after a 30-month hiatus to avoid another disaster like the Shuttle Challenger.
- President Ronald Reagan was giving way to his Vice President George H. Bush.
- The Winter Olympics were held in Calgary Canada and the Summer in Seoul So. Korea.
- The Netherlands joined the United States as the only two countries in the world connected to the Internet.
- The Tandy 1000TL personal computer had a price of $1,400, had 640 Kb of RAM and a 3.5” floppy storage drive (1.25Mgb storage).
- The first commercially available cell phones were priced just under $4,000, were brick shaped and weighed 2.4 pounds.
What hasn’t changed is Care Team’s Mission to provide top notch caregivers and nurses and compassionate healthcare services to our patients. For the 3rd year in a row, Care Team has been recognized by Home Care Pulse as a Provider of Choice Award, scoring in the top 10% in Patient Satisfaction Surveys. This would not be possible without the tireless efforts by our healthcare professionals.